Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year's Eve

    My family came down for New Years and it was so great to see them, we had a real blast.  We ended up going to the beach to see the sunrise and hang out for a while.  We arrived with only a few minutes to spare before the sun peeked out over the horizon. I had to go find a parking space, cause more than just us had the wonderful idea to see the sunrise on new years day.  I parked about a mile away and ran to the beach to catch up with everyone.  We got some pictures and we waded a little as we headed for the car.  Elijah, Justin, and I were a little ahead of everyone, when Eli said something about wishing he could find a sand dollar, and then continued to accuse me that I had broken the last one he had found on our last family Vacation to the beach in Outer Banks, NC.  I have no knowledge of the incident and still stand falsely accused to my knowledge.  The words were hardly out of his mouth when I bent down and pulled one out of the sand not six inches behind his foot. Needless to say, he was not happy about that.  We stopped in at a Starbucks on the way to the parking garage where I parked, before heading home.  Overall, it was really great to see my family, even though it had been a little more than 3 weeks since I saw them last, I miss them.  The next time I see them, will be at my mom’s wedding at the end of February, and by then I will have a nephew to go along with my niece.  It is hard to imagine unleashing another Vesper on the world.  She is will be two this month, and she already has a vocabulary bigger than mine, and she is far too cute for her own good.
New Years Eve I was kind of at a loss for what to do.  I usually would jump in the small pond we had on our property every New Years, (when I wasn’t in the middle of recovering from surgery) but seeing that I was not in the Village, laying at the end of the runway watching the stars would have to suffice. I thought I would have some peace and quiet out there on my own, but as it turns out, that peace and quiet lasted about 10 minutes, if that.  I could hear people screaming, yelling, blaring music, and blowing their party horns, from miles around!  Quite the way to enter the new year.  
    While I was sitting there, attempting to zone out the noise that was just loud enough to not quite get away from, I was thinking about the last year, and all that God did for me, and then of this year and all the unknown adventures just waiting for me to take them on.  I thought about the last meeting I went to at a church in Ocala.  Jamie Saint talked to all the singles about setting goals for this year, and he showed us some of the goals that he had set for himself this year.  I have set goals in my life and I have accomplished many of them, but I still learned tons from him.  I actually plan on spending some time with him and he is going to help me get it written down and hold me accountable to it.
    But even in my pursuit of my dreams and goals over this next year, I found myself asking who am I doing this for?  Why do I fly? Who am I to pursue goals when right now there are people who don’t even have a place to sleep or food to eat? They don’t even have the ability to pursue a goal.  That last one may seem like an old argument and an obvious one, but it is no less worthy a thought.
    Then I remembered, it is for those people that I am doing this for.  It is for the people who don’t have that I will give to.  It is the hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, sick, and imprisoned, that I fly and push myself, and attempt the impossible.  And so I continue to strive toward my goal, to push my physical, mental, practical and spiritual abilities further, in anticipation of the day that I will be ready and most of all worthy to serve these people, and by simply hearing my plane flying toward them, they feel hope.
    So what about you?  What drives you to pursue your goals?  Who holds you accountable to your goals? Are your goals advancing God’s kingdom?  
Your brother in Christ,
Austin
     


No comments:

Post a Comment