Friday, April 15, 2011

Blown!!

    Monday, I was finally able to get the A/C working in the Maverick building, and Tuesday was spent doing odd jobs that need to be done around the building.  If all goes well tomorrow and Friday, I should be able to start working on Life University.  
    I had my flying lesson cut short today; the right tire blew on us a few seconds after landing.  No, it wasn’t a hard landing that blew it, though I have done my share of them.  This landing in particular was a pretty good one, actually, but while I was raising the flaps, the plane started to veer to the left, I pressed the right pedal to correct my course but it hardly helped at all.  After Charlie tried, he said it was a flat tire, and of course, he was right.  We pushed the plane off the runway and walked back to I-TEC’s hangar to get some tools and help.
    We got a few people and some equipment and headed back out there.  Ray is a flight instructor and aircraft mechanic for YWAM and since Jesse wasn’t able to help at the moment, he came.  Also, Joel and Jeremy came. They are both with YWAM and are learning to fly as well.  They are part of the team that is going to be driving/flying the first two Mavericks from here all the way to the Amazon jungle in Brazil. (The Beyond Road’s Office has maps of all the countries they are going through taped to the wall.) They are a blast to be with.  
It took about 20 min to get the plane back to the hangar where Jesse and I replaced both rear tires.  We figured that while we are at it, we might as well do the other one.  The nose wheel seemed fine so we left it.  I was razzed about blowing the tire on the plane by everyone. They have seen some of my “not so good” landings before the tire blew, quite humbling.  I was delighted to find that the tire was completely worn down and I just happened to be the unfortunate pilot that was flying when it decided to kick the bucket.  
I’m suppose to have another lesson Thursday morning.  Monday, provided everything works out, I am suppose to spend the whole afternoon learning how to make a flight plan and then do my first cross country flight.  That basically means that I am going to fly more than a hundred miles and land at 2 other airports, Cross City and Gainesville.
I was also reminded last night at church that Saturday I am suppose to make a trip with most of my friends at church to Jacksonville.  We are going to see a play called ‘The Passion” performed at the home church of one of my friends.  I was also told that this Sunday we are doing a huge luncheon at the church and we are not having Community time (Sunday school) so we get to sleep in.  Well honestly, I like our Community time better than our meeting during the week so that is kind of a bummer, but I do get an extra hour and a half of sleep though, hard to beat that.
It was great to be home for the wedding, and I really enjoyed spending time with my friends and family, especially my niece and nephew, Vesper and Dominic Also, it was really awesome to spend time with Joel and Daniel.  I really miss living with you guys and having all our fun adventures, cant wait for your visit!  I love and miss all of you, have a wonderful week.

Your brother in Christ,

Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment