Friday, February 25, 2011

Home


So my trip up here was relatively uneventful.  I talked to Steve and Ginny on the phone to let them know I was heading out and stopped at a coffee shop called “The Great American Coffee Roasters” to say good bye to some of my friends and get a drink that is come sort of iced Caramel Macchiato but with a little more of a kick in to it.  My friends told me to get it, they code named it “Jet Pack”, I briefly wondered if I should get one to put in my car’s gas tank.
At about 4 in the morning, I was about 3 hours from home, and I thought that since I was going to arrive on a Saturday, I should get an hour of sleep so that I could at least be partially awake to spend some time with my friends.  I realized just how far gone my brain was when I made this decision when my alarm went off at 5.  I was so tired, and felt sick, I immediately knew that I should have just kept driving and slept when I got home.  I stepped out of my car to head to the bathroom to splash water on my face, and suddenly realized that it was unnecessary, it was freezing outside!!  I have become a Florida boy.
The final 3 hours seemed to take an eternity, and as I entered into familiar territory, I started looking for anyone I knew or a vehicle I recognized. As I pulled on to the final road, my mom passed me, we stopped and I opened my door to get out but my mom only rolled down her window.  I paused midway out of the car and was shocked to hear the first words out of her mouth.  No it wasn’t, “Great to see you son!” or , “Welcome Home!”.  It was “I have to go to Jackson, I’ll be back in a few hours”. I must say it was a bit of a shock, all I could do, as I drove away, was shake my head in awe of how far gone she was, and say aloud to the nonexistent passengers in my car, “My mom must be getting married”
I saw a few people before going to sleep at Nathanael’s house.  When I woke up, my first stop was Paul and Tipharah’s house where saw my nephew, Dominic, for the first time, and see my adorable niece Vesper, who is now as addicted to flying as I am.  I put her in her wagon and “flew” her all over the house, making her talk as if she was talking to a control tower.  Now every time she sees me she asks me to take her “flying”, Paul thanked me for giving him a workout every night.  Vesper never wants to land, she is always telling me to take her back up, I keep having to explain to her that the “engine” needs to rest.
            I spent some time throughout the day with several of my friends, and at the coffee shop; it was so awesome.  I seem to get a little recharge with every hug I get from someone at home.  And every conversation I have, I feel more built up.  I am so grateful for the village, for having a place where I can come when I am drained, tired, and need recharging.  I thank them all for supporting me and continually praying for me. 
            I am heading home from Memphis today, where I have been for the past 2 days.  I have enjoyed spending time with them.  We watched a movie together last night called, “Everything is Spiritual” by Rob Bell.  It is a really awesome movie, I won’t try to explain it in this post, I would be typing for several pages and probably completely mess it up for you, I highly recommend it.  I had coffee with Joel this morning, he was one of my foreman when we worked together, and someone I use to live with here in Memphis last year.  It was time well spent.
            Thank you all so much for your support and prayers.  It has been very awesome, working for Steve and it is you that makes it possible for me to do that.  He and I had a very encouraging talk before I left.  And Ginny is like my mom down there, every time I am around her, I feel totally taken care of and part of the family.  Thanks again,

Your brother in Christ,

Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment