Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Presence of God


I remember when I was about 13 or 14 I was given a book by a man named Chashaq, whom I deeply admire, the book was called, “The Practice of the Presence of God” it is a very short book, but really incredible.  The title does a pretty good job of explaining what the book is about.  I remember reading it and thinking, “This guy makes it sound so simple!”  Staying in God’s presence was a somewhat new concept to me.  I had heard about it, but as a very young man, I was still learning to hear God from my parents and mentors, and never really tried to have a personal relationship with God.  As I read the book, I found that God’s presence must be a wonderful place to be. And so to sum everything up in a sentence, I strove to be in God’s presence.
I found as I grew older, that my view of striving to be in God’s presence is different from most peoples.  I have been in several churches, revivals, or religious meetings in general, where the pastor or worship leader tells me to raise my hands, or close my eyes, or kneel down.  God’s presence is not a place I go on command, God’s presence is a state of being, not something reserved for Sunday morning or Wednesday night.  If I am a real Christians, then my life is not my own, it is Christ’s, that means that my life, from keeping my room clean to how I treat the people I am come into contact with, should be in honor of and a representation of Christ.  I raise my hands and close my eyes not because someone tells me to, but because I love my God.
Since moving down here I have started a habit that I have always wanted to have but I was always too lazy.  That habit is starting the day off with devotions.  I have a book by Oswald Chambers that is a daily devotional and it has you read some scripture that the devotion is about, then you read the devotion and pray.  It is simple, but takes dedication, and it is a healthy way to start your day, in God’s presence.  I have found that on the days that I don’t do these devotions, my days are much more stressful and I get caught up in the practicalities of this world and loose sight of God.  I get so caught up in the busyness of life that I leave God out of the picture.
Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone, it is something I feel God has been teaching me. I love and miss you all, Merry Christmas

Your brother in Christ,

Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment