Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Visitors from Home

This week has been an incredible week, so much has happened that it seems like it was two weeks instead of one!  I wrote about Monday but that was only one day.  Stephen and Ayala also came Monday around lunch time and left Friday morning.  It was so awesome to see them, and spend some time with them.  They are family to me and it was so encouraging just knowing that they were here.  Stephen came over to work with me Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and it was great.  I was wondering what I could have him do cause though there is a lot of work that needs doing here, it requires several people, not just two.  Then when I was showing him the building that we got the lease on I remembered that the tree outside had several branches that were hanging over the roof and we needed to get them cut.
For those of you who do not know Stephen.  He and I worked together on a sound crew and he was my foreman when we worked for Yachad Building Company several years ago.  So after he put on the new chain, on the chainsaw and checked it over, we went over and cut them down.  It was great actually doing some work, I have been planning everything, and having to be meet with people and make phone calls and not really doing much labor.  It took us till lunch to cut everything we needed to cut and put it in a pile behind the building. Then when I got back, Troy told me of a few others trees near the itec hangar that needed to come down, they were dangerously close to the planes and hangar and if branches fell on the planes especially it would cost us tons of money that we don’t have.  Then Jesse showed us a few more, and then Steve made it out there.  In the end, they wanted Stephen to cut down about the whole forest! Well, I suppose that is a bit of an exaggeration, but they gave him enough work that we wasn’t able to get it all done.  I had to go meet some contractors with Steve and then the two of us had some stuff to do over the next couple of days.  But another guy came named Andy and helped Stephen do most of it.  He drove a lift and was able to get Stephen up high so we didn’t have to drop the entire tree in one go and risk it hitting the planes or hangar.
It turns out that Stephen was too much help around here.  They have been trying to get those trees dropped for a couple of years!  When I told them that Stephen wasn’t coming back, he had other people to see while in Florida for the holidays they asked, “Who does he think he is? Didn’t you explain to him how things work around here? If you work and are productive then you stay! You should know that by now!”  It was a pretty funny conversation.
Ayala came and cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen for us and it made a world of difference, we were all very grateful.  Their visit was very encouraging to me, it was wonderful to see someone familiar and someone I trust.  It made a world of difference for me.
The family I told you about in one of my previous posts, the Siefks’s, arrived on Wednesday evening.  They have been great to spend time with and get to know.  They have 10 kids, and travel in a Greyhound bus.  The oldest 5 or 6 all do construction and have been a great help to me, and have gotten a lot done in the few days they have been here.  I am really grateful for their help. 
The Maverick Assembly Building is looking incredible, we are getting everything we can get done before the inspection and the Siefka’s are doing a wonderful job.  We are suppose to get the permit to start construction on the other building too so it will be nice to have both buildings underway at the start of the year. 
I’ll write about Christmas at the Saint’s house next post.  Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment